View Single Post
Old 6th December 2016, 10:43 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
I have now watched 'Power Of The Daleks', and here are my thoughts on it:

I went into it blind - that is, I had not seen it on it first (and only) broadcast, I had not heard the audio version of the story and I have never read the book. My previous knowledge was based on the scant synopsis's that have been in reference books and on-line

This is one of the stories I was most interested in, and it didn't let me down. It is gripping throughout. The Daleks are scheming and conniving, just like they should be. The Doctor is enigmatic and a mystery, just like he should be. Ben and Polly (the companions) are split between believing The Doctor and not trusting this stranger, just as they should be under the circumstances

Not a lot I can say about the animation which hasn't already been said. It is top notch and although I missed the continuity error when Polly's clothes change mid-scene, I'm sure I noticed a moment when a door slammed on the soundtrack, but didn't happen on screen

There are a lot of subtle moments in the story to watch out for, such as the scene where the Doctor is warning the colonists about the danger the Daleks pose, and all the time the Dalek is insisting 'I-am-your-servant', with it's pitch and volume rising, until the Doctor is unable to be heard over it, and the scene where Lesterson, realsing what is happening, has a breakdown, and tells the Daleks 'I-am-your-servant', in the same kind of the voice that the Daleks use

Overall, it is a great story and very much recommended

I now have about 6 hours of extras to watch, including a commentary and the full story in telesnaps
Can't. Wait!