View Single Post
Old 15th December 2016, 01:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I also watched the third and final episode of Rillington Place last night and, a few quibbles aside, thought it was a fine period drama about one of Britain's most unusual serial killers. John Christie seems to be overshadowed when compared to Jack the Ripper, Hindley and Brady, Peter Sutcliffe, Fred and Rose West, and Harold Shipman. What he did was appalling, but it seems there is some doubt about how many people he killed because he took many of his secrets to his grave and killed those, such as his wife, who would know more details. It is curious that he collected pubic hair from his victims and had some in his possession which did not match any of the bodies found in his house, and I wonder if we will ever find out what happened to Geraldine Evans, and why.

The TV series does have some historical inaccuracies, such as showing Christie as a slightly stooped man whereas he was apparently very tall and thin, and I'm not sure why Timothy Evans' Welsh accent came and went, but that struck me as odd. That aside, Tim Roth and Samantha Morton were both brilliant, the period design was exceptional, and the general feeling of dread and despair which permeated the show made for some very uncomfortable viewing.

I think it would make a good companion piece with 10 Rillington Place, with the film showing Christie committing the murders, something absent from the TV show, so I'll probably rewatch the film soon.
I always think that any film and tv show will always have some inaccuracies as you said, but as long as the main story and facts are correct in things like how they died, or how many they killed I think small minor details are not that important, cant get every detail right I guess, but it deffo was done and made extremely well and got under your skin, and that's how horrors should be especialy stories based on true people, no good if its done wrong and there no emotions or feelings good or bad towards the killer or the victims .. you've got to get into to imagine the horror and that's exactly what did they did. and as you said ( Christie committing the murders, something absent from the TV show) which I mentioned and also agree with. it was only the back end of the episode you got to see the real Christie and the murderer he was .