Thread: Comedy Film
View Single Post
Old 24th December 2016, 06:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

ffa6639680894b03e8a9d32f3e599a36.jpg

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
No real need to review this film,because if you have not seen it yet or never heard of it,your either born very recently or your not a Python fan. Its just one of the best comedies ever made,and one of the best things the Python team have ever done.Well right up until they made Life of Brian,I cannot decide which is better.But what can be said about both movie's is that Graham Chapman makes a great leading man although I could see John Cleese doing an equally good job as King Arthur. Any how if you were like me and annoyed everybody at school by quoting lines from the film,then left school and annoyed your work colleagues by shouting NI,then like me you probably have no friends.
The recent 40th Anniversary re-release of the Blu-Ray comes in a most decidedly Monty Pyhtonesque packaging,with the box itself resembling the castle and several different farm yard animals that can be catapulted over the mock castle wall with a piece of plastic that is supplied within the packaging.Many an hour has been killed with me flinging cattle over the walls while shouting Ah don' wanna talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food-trough wiper! .This maybe one of the worst bit of film merchandise ever made but its fits perfectly within the Python universe.The disc it self has some nice extras,especially the out-takes and extra footage,my favourites being a longer version of Sir Lancelot the Brave killing the wedding party with a few bits of extra gore,someone gets a sword in the mouth and a severed hand make an appearance.Also an extended scene where King Arthur and Sir Bedevere the Wise threaten an old crone with NI.Also a close-up of a cow landing on one of the servants and the Black Knight not voiced by John Cleese.Not an essential double dip but still bloody funny,and for a low budget film from 1975 it sounds and looks great on Blu disc .And if you are like me and first watched it on VHS back in the day,you will notice that the transfer has definitely improved from its video tape days,very noticeable when King Arthur goes into the forest before meeting the Black Knight there's plenty of nice detail on the screen,and also the difference in audio quality is also notable,you have never heard coconut shells as good as you will hear on this disc,its like your actually there.