View Single Post
Old 15th January 2017, 08:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
That's why I try to do, leaving my academic grounding in film behind me as much as possible and dealing with quality and entertainment rather than things which are more suited for an assignment than a simple 'yea or nay' opinion.

For example, when talking about La La land, I could have talked about the embrace of artifice, the clear influence of Jacques Demy's Young Girls of Rochefort and Stanley Donen's Singin' in the Rain, for example. The upbeat tone is almost a counterpoint to David Lynch's Mulholland Dr., but I won't get into that!

I should have mentioned the tone setting opening number which was almost like Chazelle saying "This is a musical and these are the rules" so no one is under any illusion about what is to come, such as some audience members with Sweeney Todd when they walked out because they weren't expecting people to sing!
we all give different opinion and tones of the film, some people might go in detail about the characters, other people might say about the story lines, while other just might say what they liked or disliked and why, every opinion different