View Single Post
Old 16th January 2017, 10:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I feel like January has been a bit of a let down on the film front for me, Apart from Donnie Darko and Porco Rosso I haven't really loved anything.

I watched Resident Evil 1-4, to varying degrees of enjoyment, the first was 'good but dated' the second had some great set-pieces but overall was a disappointment, the 3rd I enjoyed a great deal but was under no false impressions of it being a good film, the 4th was just painful to watch, really really bad!

I also watched Absurd for the first time this weekend which was very enjoyable, but again it's not the best of films. One scene in particular which didn't make sense until later in the film was when the surgeon was operating on 'the beast' for ages and ages but at no point did anyone mention that the blood was coagulating and preventing the surgical stitches.

I also watched Gus van Sant's Elephant which is a semi-fictional account of the Columbine shootings. Not a lot happens, and there are plenty of scenes where the camera follows a teenager around the school, but it's utterly hypnotic and watchable. I'd recommend it, but I know that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Other than that I was disappointed by Seven Deaths in the Cat's Eye which looks fantastic in it's Gothic setting, but was let down by a thin plot and some odd exposition and an erm... ex-circus orangutan.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky