View Single Post
Old 18th January 2017, 08:40 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
anyone seen manchester by the sea yet, was going to see it this afternoon but put off a bit by how depression its supposed to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Wasnt that the film Mark Kermode highly enjoyed but got put of cos he complained about something to do with the soundtrack in the background on a particular scene?
I've just listened to Mark Kermode's review and his issue was the use of Albinoni’s Adagio in G Minor, a piece of music which has been used in the TV series Butterflies, the films Rollerball, Gallipoli, Flashdance, and accompanies Confessions on Simon Mayo's Drivetime radio show. As such, it has (for many) become cliché. Apparently Lonergan had it in as a temp track always intending to replace it with a different piece of music but found it worked so well he didn't/couldn't find anything better.

I didn't have an issue with the music because, although it's been used, I have never found it overused. If it had been Barber's Adagio for Strings, probably most famous fourth Platoon and The Elephant Man, that would have been different. It is most likely a personal thing and your memories of, and associations with, a particular piece of music, including how many times you have heard it and its associations for you.