View Single Post
Old 19th January 2017, 02:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Anyone seen I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives In The House? I watched it a couple of days ago on Netflix and can't stop thinking about it. It's a ghost story that sort of lingers, it's there but it isn't, much like its subject matter. There's very little story, it's mostly execution and style, and undoubtedly many will find it pretentious and overtly arty, but it sets a mood that you just can't shake. A slow burn without the typical denouement of one. It creates a dread-filled yet melancholy atmosphere, but makes little attempt to fully hold the attention of the viewer. I wavered so much when rating it for Letterbox'd that I actually rewatched the final 25 minutes. I just couldn't decide between a 2 or a 4. Eventually I copped out and marked it a 3, but it's not a 3. The final image is haunting, I just can't decide whether it's genius or hollow.

I'm going to watch director Oz Perkins' prior film The Blackcoat’s Daughter (also known as February) tonight and see if that has any bearing on my thoughts. It's very rare I'm wishy-washy on how I feel about a movie, I was curious if anyone here had seen it and hearing their feelings on it.