View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2017, 11:23 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meakin View Post
Yes rather hypocritical as the fight is clearly staged for the film yet it passed uncut for the 101 Films Blu-ray/dvd release.The footage was also used in either Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea (Series) or Land Of The Giants.As it's Irwin Allen it could've been recycled in both !.I have the passable German dvd of One Million B.C (1940) & that also has quite a bit of lizard cruelty.
It's things like this that annoy me, not that there is a law on animal cruelty but the way it is interpreted and I'm not just talking about the very dubious "slaughter vs torture" bollocks they try and justify some animal violence with. Either there is a law stating all animal violence should be cut or there is not.

You cannot see horse trip falls in many westerns like The Long Riders but you can watch horse racing on TV where horses regularly break legs jumping over fences. You cannot watch 2 hens pecking at each other but can watch a crocodile and water monitor rip shreds out of each other, be anaesthetised and thrown over a cliff. You cannot see a crocodile slaughtered by natives in Man From Deep River but it's okay to watch a water buffalo beheaded in Apocalypse Now. The Adventures of Milo and Otis killed around 20 kittens, injured more and was accused of mass cruelty to other animals but, hey, it's narrated by Dudley Moore so that's okay, too.

There are many other discrepancies in hundreds of films but there is absolutely no consistency in the way the BBFC apply these so called laws making a mockery of the whole process and proving that the laws the BBFC are guided by are a shambles and not fit for purpose. And before people start jumping on their moral high horse and saying ridiculous things like, "I don't need to see animal violence to enjoy a film," and accusing those that do not advocate censorship in the arts as being deviates who masturbate furiously over turtle decapitations, they are missing the point entirely or being deliberately obtuse. The whole point is the "laws" (I say that very loosely...) are open to the interpretation of the examiners and we all can cite very many stupendous acts of stupidity they have enforced over the last 30 odd years with no accountability for their decisions.