View Single Post
Old 27th January 2017, 03:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
A lot of it will be to do with available materials and rights issues though. A lot of elements for these films have sadly deteriorated, been destroyed or lost over the years.
A lot is to do with small minded mentality as well. Not willing to take a gamble. Except on Polish nonsense that is favoured by their restorers.

The likes of Screenbound and Network release tons of unheard of gems to dvd and in some cases Blu.

It doesn't have to be an extras heavy set with posters, booklets, 22 commentaries blah, blah, blah.

The true collectors of films will always seek them out. That's what puzzles me about people who say 'i only buy blu-ray', either need their head seeing to or are just format collectors rather than fans of the actual medium of film. The Arrow interview proves my case.

Powerhouse have the right idea.

Quote:
I think that the fact that independent labels are releasing studio titles is great news for film fans, and actually reflects very well on the majors, since it's down to their ability to understand that a 'back catalogue' strategy is needed (while they focus on the money-making end of things) that a great many films have been allowed to avoid slipping into obscurity. Of course, there is much more work to be done to 'crack open the vaults' of some studios, and we're extremely keen to play a part in trying to change this, where and whenever we possibly can.