View Single Post
Old 28th January 2017, 12:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Haven't seen the director cut thing, but for me it was always the Superman film that stood out from the rest.
The Richard Donner cut is pretty good. It removes some of the rather silly slapstick that Richard Lester incorporated, removes Superman's non-comic book powers and also re-instates the original Marlon Brando footage. But unfortunately you do loose the pretty cool Paris opening. I still like both cuts but if I had to choose just one, it would be the Donner cut for sure. The Donner cut is roughly 75% Richard Donner material and roughly 25% Lester material as only so much footage was shot. Unfortunately the Donner cut uses the same 'turn back time' ending as seen in the original film (because no new Superman 2 conclusion was ever filmed so it does have a strong deja vu feeling), instead of Lester's rather weird 'magic kiss' ending. Also worth noting that the Richard Donner cut has superior blu-ray PQ over the theatrical version. btw I own this region friendly blu-ray and I would highly recommend it:

https://www.wowhd.co.uk/superman-2/085391131045