View Single Post
Old 28th January 2017, 06:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Red Hill (2010)

Excellent contemporary Australian western that utilizes the best elements from classic revenge westerns such as High Plains Drifter adding it's own revisionist touches to create the best example of a modern day western i've seen in a long time.

Brutal and eye catching in it's effectiveness, Red Hill is a simple tale of a young sheriff (Ryan Kwanten of True Blood) who takes a post in a small Victoria town in the grip of winter. He soon learns that a convicted killer has escaped from jail and is returning to Red Hill to wreak his revenge on those who put him away.

In truth it's nothing that hasn't been done before but director Patrick Hughes gives the film an almost poetic feel to it with it's slow build up that gradually allows suspense to seep through until the grizzled killer (an excellent Tom E Lewis) shows up and all hell breaks loose in the sleepy town. The setting took me by surprise. I didn't know it was an Australian production during the first few minutes and mistook the Victoria location for Alaska or British Columbia, so unlike a typical Australian western it is.

I really enjoyed this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redhill.jpg (84.3 KB, 6 views)