View Single Post
Old 29th January 2017, 12:47 AM
Cult Addict

Christine

Christine-Blu-Ray-UK.jpg

Bought the Powerhouse blu the other day, it felt like a necessity, i'd read on here about a cut down supermarket sweep version and really wanted the Special edition which has apparently been shifting more units than expected.
Didn't want to miss out on this.
It may not be Carpenters most thrilling film but there's something about this one i really enjoy.
I first saw this aged about 12 and i really connected to the outsider that can't fit in vibe and the way he turns himself into a cool badass after buying Christine. O.k watching it now he's very self centred and a bit of a prick but i can see from his point of view that he's obsessed by his first car and forms a symbiotic relationship with it, so much so that when others reject it, he feels wounded and rejects them.
And i think that's really what makes this film work,the relationship between the nerd and the car, and the effect it has on the other people in his life.
It may be a film about a possessed killing car (and on paper that shouldn't really work at all), but really it's all about relationships.
All the kids in this film do really well and performances seem natural, add to this the great 50's rock and roll/Carpenter synth pulsing score and some really good photography and you have a really entertaining film.
Always loved the scene where Christine first repairs herself and totally fell in love with the Plymouth Fury car when i first watched this.
That's the only downside of the film, the fact that you see so many beautiful antique cars trashed.
On top of that we have a few great scenes with Roberts Blossum from Deranged and the always entertaining Harry Dean Stanton, so how can you go wrong.
The blu looks spanking and comes with a load of extras. Commentary, mini docs, deleted scenes and trailers.
Still a great,entertaining watch that i always enjoy.
Recommended 8.5/10
Christine+movie.jpg

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.