View Single Post
Old 4th February 2017, 01:40 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
There's no doubt that Cartmell's stories were far more consistent and more intriguing than what new Who has delivered in recent years. Just look at the shoddy Planet of the Dead, End of Time, Fear Her, Love & Monsters, Aliens of London etc... and it goes on. And it's fair to say that we've have had some decent stories since the show returned in 2005, but misses far out way the hits. The only problem I can see with Cartmell's stories is cost. Had the new series been given the go-ahead by BBC, I doubt many of these stories would of had a substantial budget awarded to them under a new producer, though even back then, the BBC could of opted for a co-production partner like Australian Broadcasting Corp to help with budget costs . These stories feel more ambitious in scope. But does make you wonder what Doctor Who could of been like under Cartmell. Probably Dr Who needed that new blood to re-address the balance with both the BBC and the auidence.
I sort of agree, however the Cartmell script editor era was a **** up from day one. Yes season 26 was brilliant, but seasons 24 and 25 were, Remembrance of the Daleks aside, average to bleedin' awful.

I didn't like the way they were turning the Doctor into an all powerful being, destroyer of Skaro, the entire Cyber fleet, infinite rice pudding.

As for 21st century Doctor Who? Yes there have been some poor episodes - Fear Her, Nightmare in Silver, The Girl Who Died, The Woman Who Lived and Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS are all awful but in my opinion not as bad as Time and the Rani , Paradise Towers or The Underwater Menace The others you mention are merely average, no better or worse than Delta and the Bannermen or Meglos.