View Single Post
Old 14th February 2017, 09:09 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
The Awakening. Thought i'd seen this before. Turns out i've only ever seen the first hour - weird. Anyway, the delectable Rebecca Hall plays a debunker of mystics, mediums and fake bumpers in the night who is called to a boys boarding school by the rather curt Dominic West to investigate 'ghostly' goings on after the death of a student. Once she gets there, we meet the third wheel that keeps the movie going, the always dependable Imelda Staunton as Maude the matron of the school. Well, there's bebunking (hey, a boarding school joke. I'm here all night folks), followed by an 'Awakening' if you like and it's then that the picture really gets going. There are some nice chilly set-pieces involving a dolls-house that seems to move around the school depicting what is going on, went on, or what might have been going on, and a satisfactorily unsatisfactory ending that can certainly be taken in more than one way.

The three central performances are all excellent, but this is Hall's film for me. Mind you, i'd watch her reading the phone directory as the slightly altered saying goes.
That's two films in the same amount of days that we both rate, Deadite. (Real Steel being the other).

Be afraid ... be very afraid.