View Single Post
Old 1st March 2017, 02:28 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
The Wolf of Wall Street.

3 hours?!? Jeesh!

I thought the film started out good. Showing you the guy's quick ascent and all that. Plus It's pretty funny too.

But then when I remembered it's a true story I went off the whole thing. The way that it is narrated and acted out obviously wants you to cheer him on, to be glad for him and his "success". Glorifies the lifestyle...all the money, the women, the drugs, the mad parties...Slags off the cops throughout. The character buying his way out of any problems he encounters...writing it all off as him chasing and living the American Dream. It's what everyone wants, after all!

The scene on the train with the cop who lead the investigation seemed like a real-life personal dig. I took it to be affirming the film's message that crime does pay. Wether or not Jordan Belford had to do a couple of years in jail, he has come out the other side still rich. And regardless...he lived the dream while the cop scraped at the dirt. Turned me off against the whole film.

And then the plug that the guy is now a real life motivational speaker!!?? With the real life Jordan Belford playing a wee cameo??!! He's loving every moment of his notoriety. Did I just sit through a three hour self gratifying advert for an obviously un-reformed criminal's new career??

The fact I watched it all the way to the end makes me feel conned, like one of his many victims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some films are long and you get that engrossed into it before you know it its finished and didn't feel like 3hrs ,where other films feel like oh there can't be long left wtf I'm only reaching half way point , and that was one of them .. I just couldn't take to the film and gave up at around 2hr mark and already felt like the film was a hr to long, it dragged and some scenes went on to long and could have been trimmed down,and other scenes felt like they was repeating themselves but in a different room with a different crowd , and I agree it felt like you wanted to be on his side instead of making you feel he a **** for what he did . and sometimes it makes you feel like crime does pay, rip people of get few yr in jail come out rich and live a luxury lifestyle while the people you rip of are pissed of. And odd occasionally time feel like governments don't care if you been ripped of , you can do fraud of few hundred thousand or few million and probably still get same sentence ,but if was the government money guaranteed you spend twice as long in jail and they want it paying back.