View Single Post
Old 1st March 2017, 09:03 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
THE WOMAN – Lucky McKee and Jack Ketchum get together for this follow-up to 'Offspring'. It's about a misogynistic lawyer who captures a wild-woman and basically tortures her in his cellar, roping in various family members along the way. He has an even nastier little secret hiding in his kennel. 'The Woman' is a fairly weird hybrid of slow burning indie family drama and brutal horror, and I really quite like the way its downbeat, depressing tale of implied incest and familial claustrophobia is offset by the sheer strangeness of scenes where husband, wife and kids crowd around and gawp at this woman chained beneath the house. There's the randomness too of this wild-woman concept if you're not familiar with 'Offspring'. Some aspects grate slightly, like the alt rock soundtrack, but the film totally nails the unremitting shitiness of the man of the house, who is the leering personification of female hatred. For those who are in it for the gore, 'The Woman' gets pretty harsh towards the end with some enjoyably unsentimental butchery. Recommended.

I DRINK YOUR BLOOD – These kind of things are subjective, but if you asked a bunch of people to name their ultimate grindhouse flick, I bet a lot of them would come up with IDYB. I certainly feel that way about it. IDYB may not be the the absolute pinnacle of seventies excess, either in terms of sex, violence or sheer far outness, but it's steeped in the kind of feverish lunacy that for me marks out the essential character of amped up low brow horror pulp (or rather, how these kind of movies are supposed to be but so rarely are). It throws together nasty hippies, bits of satanism and the occult that don't really go anywhere, and a Romero-Cronenberg style viral outbreak. The reason for all this dementia? A plucky kid injects evil trip commune's meat pies with rabies after they spike his granddad with acid... no, you couldn't make it up. But that's the root of IDYB's charm, a total disregard for basic narrative sense that could've come from the wrong end of one of Bhasker's doobies. The resulting immersion in lysergic bad taste leaves its the audience reeling and having to deal with a movie which seems to casually toss in a badly thought through anti-drugs message at the same time as it revels in lo-fi gore and sleaze. Hysterical trash of the first order.
I have had the chance to pick up The Woman a few times but for some reason i kept passing it off but after that review ill be picking it up this weekend. Cheers.