View Single Post
Old 12th March 2017, 04:58 PM
Cult Addict

Kong:Skull island.

Shit assuredly blows up.

Whatever faults this film has, and Kong probably has some faults, anything can be fixed with giant apes. I could care less about the snotty guardian reviews on this, they can sod off back to french films about 50 year old men screwing girls young enough to be their granddaughters. Kong is the sort of film that might get some of the snobbier critics up in arms but I loved it. Essentially its a mash up between Nam flicks like apocalypse now & the deer hunter and monster mash ups, with kong beating the tar out of various monsters and generally being a lovable old brute. Throw in a bit of Moby Dick with Sam Jackson going Ahab on Kongs ass and your good to go.
Sure its silly, sure the script is occasionally clunky but I didn't care. ITS FUN. So much FUN. There's a bit at the end credits and a moment that riffs on Cannibal Holocaust that's surprising for a pg-13 level film but then it throws a fair bit of grusome imagery at the screen. I can only imagine that suitcases stuffed with bills were involved in getting it passed. I must stress this is a real treat theatrically and well worth admission. It helps a lot that its still £4.99 at my vue.

Hopefully will retain its place as one of my films of the year.