View Single Post
Old 12th March 2017, 09:14 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Better off Dead. John Cusack is a high school teenager so obsessively in love with his girlfriend that he flirts with the idea of suicide after she just casually dumps him for a local ski champion. Between coping with his mom's cooking, the sweet French foreign exchange student living with his creepy neighbours, and a malevolent and relentless paperboy, he ultimately decides to challenge his rival to a suicidal-in-itself ski competition down a notoriously "untameable" nearby mountain... This mid 80s comedy is irreverent, off the wall and frequently hilarious. Great fun from start to finish, this was once a frequent rewatch but I hadn't seen it for about 11 years for some reason, but it's still as great as ever. The DVD did a couple of weird things a couple of times, though, so I think a Blu ray upgrade is both warranted and deserved. I think my fave side character is Vincent Schiavelli's impossibly charismatic maths teacher, who genuinely has his entire class rivetted to his every (incomprehensible) uttering. Genius!
Hollywood hasn't made anything as funny as this in donkeys years.
I have a real soft spot for this film.