View Single Post
Old 26th March 2017, 10:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Howl. Low budget shenanigans as the last train hits something on the track and rent-a-horror-actor Sean Pertwee (here playing the train driver) gets out and investigates. Well, before you can say "Sean Bean!" the other ill-fated Sean exits stage left.

What follows is an effective little siege movie as the remaining passengers and staff try to stave off toothy things from the woods. I think where this film really shines is in the fact that each of the characters comes across as someone you could actually meet on any given day in any old situation ie they are 'normal' rather than stereotypes and when someone bites the dust you feel for them. My particular favourite is Amit Shaw as Mathew, the bookish fella who seems more bothered that he's lost his place in his book, yet does some of the bravest stuff in the film.

I'm a bit tired of the formulaic ending exhibited here and wish that there were more films that eschewed the 'last one/normally girl standing' trope that's so prevalent that a genre film even bears the name.

Anyway, decent low-budget shocker with a likeable ensemble cast that is worth a watch.

Last edited by Deadite; 26th March 2017 at 11:28 PM.