View Single Post
Old 29th March 2017, 06:19 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Life. Gravity meets Alien in this sci-fi horror flick starring Ryan Reynolds, Rebecca Ferguson and Jake Gyllenhaal. A team on the International Space Station are studying samples from Mars when they find a living organism among them - a microscopic single-cell life form that confirms the existence of life elsewhere in the universe. Of course, being that sort of movie, it doesn't stay microscopic for long... This is a terrific, intense, exciting and scary SF chiller that I really enjoyed. Criticisms that this is "just like Alien" are most unfair IMO - it's a monster movie on a spaceship so yeah there's gonna be similarities, but blimey it's been nearly 40 years since Alien, are you telling me we can't ever do that genre again?! (I'm willing to put money on this being better than Alien:Covenant too
I saw it today and echo everything you said. It must be very tough for filmmakers to do anything original with a film set in space, so this is Gravity meets Alien meets Solaris and Sunshine, with a nice reference to Re-Animator thrown in. An additional difficulty is the shortage of A-listers who haven't either been sent into space or been involved in an extra-planetary escapade in some capacity, whether it is leaving Earth or, such as a member of mission control, instrumental in its organisation and monitoring.

Although I've thoroughly enjoyed Life, I hope this, and the upcoming Alien: Covenant is the end of the current extra-planetary sci-fi sci-fi films (though highly enjoyable and excellent films such as the aforementioned and others including The Martian and Interstellar are very real watchable). As I said, there is a limit to the number of stories available without making a film which can easily be dismissed as a rip-off so, just as the slasher genre went through a lull before being reborn with Scream, perhaps it is time to give space a rest and even, if Arrival is any indication, stick to occasional films featuring alien visitors.