View Single Post
Old 15th April 2017, 01:13 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm waiting for the response from the Labs resident arthouse mob!
Gialli isn't really arthouse, although it does certainly make use of its visual aesthetic / colour palette at times and comparisons can certainly be drawn.

Plus, I kind of agree in many ways, as certain gialli have become more 'mainstream' due to modern homages and directors like QT and Eli Roth bigging them up, they have consequently drawn a more modern mainstream following and I've no doubt that certain viewers give certain films more of a pass as they're seen to be cool rather than actually enjoying them / not enjoying them for what they are. Or as you've mentioned, just assuming that they're great without even seeing them for themselves for whatever reason.

A lot of the more mainstream gialli offerings are not necessarily as good as some of the more obscure offerings in my opinion - some of which are much more crazier and trippier than their more well-known cousins. Some had to employ plot-arcs and situations that would make them stand out from the crowd. Unless you're prepared to dig deeper into the gialli melting pot then a lot of the mainstream offerings are all you have to reference too, and a strong name in the director's chair, bigger production budgets and larger awareness does not necessarily mean they're the cream of the crop. It's just like the slasher craze. There are some great under-seen gems that are a little more creative with their formula and some of the more mainstream ones are very dreary, yet attract more acclaim due to being more well-known and popular with the masses. Maybe that's just me though... maybe I do like a lot of shit and the mainstream ones that everyone else likes are truly great.

Plus, I wouldn't consider myself a 'mob' in any respect!