View Single Post
Old 18th April 2017, 01:38 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
After completing Resident Evil 7, I felt like playing another survival horror game so picked up The Evil Within for 10 pounds second-hand. Waited for the latest patch to download before playing it as I wanted the game to display in 16:9 viewpoint (the original full widescreen display choice wasn't very enticing).

Played for 6 hrs yesterday, am currently on chapter 6. Pleased about a few things:

- That it is a lengthy game (15 chapters)
- That it has new game plus meaning that additional playthroughs won't be anywhere near quite as challenging and will feel much more rewarding
- That I waited until patches were available for the game. Fixing framerate issues and adding 16:9 mode

Turned off film grain completely and despite being a PS3/PS4 title that's over 2 years old, I think that it looks very nice indeed on my PS4.

Had to look at YouTube videos on two occasions to work out how to progress - on the dark haired boss fight where you use fire as a means of attack and on my latest level where enemies constantly respawned until you take out the 4 distant figures with your sniper rifle.

Would recommend to fans of Resident Evil, especially now that it has been patched and is very cheap. Game seems like a crossbreed of titles like Resident Evil, Silent Hill and The Last of Us from what I have played thus far. Really enjoying it so far.

New game plus with many upgrades should result in easier, more fun and a less challenging gameplay experience if you can just perservere through the first fairly punishing playthrough.

I had to resort to running and headshot gunning with the sniper rifle against the second chainsaw boss after I had used up my meagre collection of crossbow bolts and it was quite exciting. Took me a few attempts.

Wouldn't surprise me if, at some point, I have to load up an earlier save in order to preserve powerful crossbow ammo for bosses only. So yep, having some fun with Shinji Makami's (the creator of Resident Evil) The Evil Within.
I'm midway through and ither than finding a few of the puzzles overly obscure I'm really enjoying it. Awesomely atmospheric in places.