View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2017, 06:50 AM
Cult Addict

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

I suspect with this one I'll be reading a lot of reviews with the well worn "difficult second album" cliche. Its certainly not as good as the first, mainly because the first Guardians set the bar quite high. However its not an Iron man 2 or Thor dark world (and I still like these well enough but its hard to deny they dipped in quality somewhat.) The main complaint is there is some humour that falls flat, that said some of it had me and most of the audience in stitches. However it certainly could be argued to be a little hit and miss. The other complaint, which to some people might actually end up being a positive, is that the plot is a little light and it minimises references to the extended MCU. The film is essentially a character building exercise. The first film was the team coming together, here they get to develop somewhat and bond. The smaller character centred story is probably going to be a bonus to anyone who could care less about the other Marvel films.
Overall its still a solid film, the final act is genuinely tear jerking and gives one of the characters a great send off that feels genuinely well thought out. Also we get David Hasselhoff so bonus!