View Single Post
Old 16th May 2017, 02:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

ANTIBIRTH – Two long-in-the-tooth alternative types find their trashed out lifestyle leaves them in jeopardy when a local dealer tries out a batch of new stuff on them. One of them falls pregnant (the drug in question has something to do with experimental hormones) with pretty surprising results. I really quite liked 'Antibith', a film which mixes indie and horror tropes to concoct a world of derelict substance enthusiasts and freaky body horror. Difficult to sum up, but Harmony Korine directing from a script by Brian Yuzna kind of gets there, in a way. There's some tasty prosthetic moments and imaginative gore, not to mention the odd flurry of psychedelic visuals, but the main draw is the grim demi-monde of drug addiction and desperate partying conjured, which kind of reminded me of 'Street Trash' in that it feels like a closed, curdled world unto itself with little reference to the wider society (there's also of course an ST vibe to the theme of drugs 'n' booze gone wrong). Pretty claustrophobic stuff, but also blackly comedic, and let's not forget that Meg Tilly's in there in a nice role. Plus, any film that shows Chloe Sevigny twisting to Suicide is my kind of movie. Highly recommended.