View Single Post
Old 17th December 2009, 06:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
Since the BBFC's policy is to remove images which eroticise or endorse sexual violence there was never any question that the scene was going to be cut. Similar cuts had already been made to several other films eg Iron Fisted Monk, Angel Guts Red Classroom and Angels Wild Women, so if they were going to be consistent then Tombs had to be cut. The BBFC might have accepted the sequence if it was a long shot but a violent rape focusing on forcible breast exposure and groping of breasts shown in lingering close up never really stood a chance at the time. As to whether it would pass now remains to be seen. I wouldn't place any bets on it though.
Thanks for the reply angel. I haven't seen any of the other films you mention, but I can't see how that scene was worse than those in other films left uncut by the BBFC ( Next Door being an example ). Wasn't there talk at the time that the film had been sent to the wrong examiner or something ( or did I dream that? )

I think the real shame was that it meant most people bought the ( more expensive ) US set. Maybe it was this kind of thing that helped put off ABUK from releasing cult movies? Ah well, it was a rare blip from the BBFC, so I'll shut up about it now