View Single Post
Old 11th June 2017, 04:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Round up time.

Santa Fe (1951)

A thoroughly enjoyable western starring the venerable Randolph Scott about the laying of the Santa Fe railroad through Kansas and into New Mexico. Nicely plotted with both major and local problems for Scott to deal with including rival railroad companies and his three brothers who keep robbing his paymasters. It digs a bit deeper into the outcome of the Civil War and the tensions which ensue even after guns were laid down than the majority of westerns do. Lively, pacy and well acted. Santa Fe is a recommended western.

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016)

As with the first film i haven't read any of Lee Childs Jack Reacher stories so neither know nor care if Tom Cruise is the epitome of Reacher. What i do know is just like the 2012 film Jack Reacher: Never Go Back is a rollicking action thriller with breathless set pieces and in my opinion a terrific lead star. Not many people make films like this anymore so i for one am grateful to the likes of Cruise and Vin Diesel for still producing escapist action movies.

Clown (2014)

An interesting idea - a clown costume is actually the skin of an ancient demon and becomes part of it's wearer as he slowly takes the shape of the demon once more - it has echoes of Krampus and is only partially successful. More character study than horror film which is a pity as it could have been an outstanding slasher film. The clown costume and make up as our poor clown unravels is very good but in truth this isn't a patch on Ross Noble's Stitches (2012) in the clown horror movie stakes

Confessions of a Pop Performer (1975)

Robin Askwith gets up to more saucy shenanigans in this 70's sex comedy. Supported by the likes of Tony Booth, Doris Hare, Bill Maynard, Carol Hawkins and Jill Gascoine (who certainly shows she has a gentle touch) Confessions of a Pop Performer is of it's time but proves a bit of escapist fun. Think Carry On! with smuttier jokes, tons of nudity and naturally Askwith's arse and you'll get the picture.

Beach Babes 2: Cave Girl Island (1995)

Wow! This was bad. Whereas the first Beach Babes film was a bit of fun with a semi-decent story, this is plotless, lifeless, rubbish. In this a trio of sexy alien girls land on earth during the stone age and... well it's just an excuse for a series of overlong softcore sex scenes. Stupidly i watched the uncut version. Next time, if indeed there is a next time i'll definitely opt for the cut version in the hope some of the unsexy sex is heavily trimmed. Total garbage which barely deserves a star rating.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 11th June 2017 at 05:03 PM.