View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2017, 07:21 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I think in a lot of ways they are a pretty good marketing tool and actually enable labels to earn more profit from their releases and quickly too.

There are clearly enough people who are willing to pay £5+ extra for a bit of cardboard and in doing so are also ordering direct from the distributor too therefore ensuring they get the sale and a larger profit because of it. If you consider how much these slipcovers cost to produce (must be pennies each when ordering a bulk lot) then I suspect it can be quite lucrative for distributors to offer these and there are enough suckers, er, I mean fans () who are willing to splash out the extra coinage (and on the day of release too) in order to snag these limited edition covers.

A lot like steelbooks, limited numbered editions, custom packaging and offering limited booklets, all are tools to try and maximise release day sales and are often at a premium price in order for labels to recoup their costs quicker.
Yeah that's a fair point. For example, Some people don't care much for booklets, but I really like them. In fact I'm pretty disappointed when I open a DVD or blu ray and a booklet isn't included! As you say, if all these things help generate income and lead to new releases, then all the better.