View Single Post
Old 11th July 2017, 11:10 PM
Cult Addict

Stitches. Conor McMahon. 2012.

Well this is a surprise. I tried watching Stitches on Netflix a few months back and didn't get more than ten minutes in before turning it off mistaking it for shite. My bad.
Ross Noble plays Stitches the clown a sleazy, grubby childrens entertainer who despises children. Unfortunately for Stitches the kids at one particular birthday party seem to be better at the gags than he is and when one of the little brats pranks goes wrong Stitches ends up meeting his maker at the end of a carving knife. Some years later the birthday boy in question Tom, now a somewhat messed up teenager hesitantly ends up being treated to a rather more grown up birthday bash thanks to his school mates. And who should show up? Thanks to an Eric Draven style resurrection via some actually rather nifty gothic black magic type ritual Stitches is back from the dead to deal with those "little bastards!!"
This is actually a very cool little slasher with some different kills and a very likeable cast. I'm not really much of a fan of comedian Noble and his somewhat grating turn as a live and well Stitches is what put me off in the first place. Ironically it's the same qualities that make for such an annoying character alive that make Stitches such a great slasher villain. The various teens bounce off each other very well and simultaneously embrace and dodge stereotypes excellently. All in all Stitches was actually brilliant and i really liked the unexpected gothic/pagan element.
Oh and an unexpectedly awesome soundtrack.

Last edited by J Harker; 11th July 2017 at 11:31 PM.