Thread: Comedy Film
View Single Post
Old 15th July 2017, 10:38 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

One, Two, Three (1961)

James Cagney's final film, and in my opinion he gives one of his finest performances in this frantic Billy Wilder comedy about the chief of West Berlin's Coca Cola plant who finds himself in dire Cold War straits when the CEO's daughter from the States comes to visit.

One, Two, Three is as vibrant as Wilder films come, fast paced with even faster talking. Cagney who basically carries the whole film, his rapid fire dialogue delivering so many one liners it's impossible to take them all in without missing the next one. Wilder throws in dozens of references to Cagney's past from the cuckoo clock that plays Yankee Doodle Dandy (and speeds up when Cagney's in full flow) to him threatening to push a grapefruit into Horst Buchholz's face, not to mention his lovely secretary Liselotte Pulver who does her best Monroe table dance which certainly echoes Some Like it Hot.

Wilder uses West German locations to the maximum especially the Brandenburg Gate making it all look so authentic and very Cold War with it's bombed out East Berlin. True it pokes fun at communism and freely supports US capitalism but that's where many of the laughs come from.

I only found out about this film earlier this week and bought it immediately. I'm so glad i did as it's become a James Cagney favourite after just one viewing.

Highly recommended.