View Single Post
Old 18th July 2017, 11:58 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I agree with this, there are only so many anecdotes to be told, once you have heard them you don't need to hear them again!

I much prefer the meatier retrospective docs and visual essays than the old EPK extras that we used to get. Like the ones on the House and Phantasm box sets which span the multiple discs, the Phenomena one and the piece by Kat Ellinger on the Bird with the Crystal Plumage disc.

We need a nice Jess Franco collection with a brilliant career spanning 5hr doc
Someone accused Arrow's The Manchurian Candidate of being "lazy" when it came out. Not a bit of it - the fact is that the existing MGM-produced extras weren't broken so didn't need fixing. Why bother going to the considerable expense of arranging a brand new Angela Lansbury interview when she was more than eloquent enough in 2004? And obviously we weren't going to get a fresh John Frankenheimer commentary.

And I still added stuff to the package: an hour-long Frankenheimer doc and a crammed booklet. In fact, the second half of the booklet, about actual CIA-backed mind control experiments, was initially conceived as a video feature until I realised that the stuff being described was so hair-raising that it really needed extensive footnoting, so a text-based piece seemed more sensible.

(One thing I did drop, though, was the 5.1 mix. Christ knows why the US edition only featured it, but it was pretty much an object lesson in how not to do these things, with added "surround" effects so clunkily obvious that it really took me out of the film. Nobody seemed to have any time for it, and the DVD in particular was crammed to bursting, so it was easy enough to decide to omit it.)