View Single Post
Old 19th July 2017, 08:44 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Who have we got these days? I can only think of Patrick Wilson of Insidious and The Conjuring fame who seems to be a regular in Horror films right now.
To be honest, I quite like having (relative) 'no name' stars in horror films. It Follows Was not brilliant because of Bailey Spry, The Babadook because of Essie Davies, The Witch because of Anya Taylor-Joy or Ralph Ineson, Don't Breathe (which I've yet to see) because Jane Levy, Dylan Minette or Daniel Zovatto. They all have been commended for their writing, direction, intelligence, the effect they have on the audience, and how good the acting is, not the names of those involved.

It is possible to sell a crap film when an A-list actor is starring in the lead (presumably why Johnny Depp is still employable), but also why horror films are usually very profitable, with many becoming even more acclaimed as the years pass. Face it, when did George Romero ever have the film headlined by a genuine A-lister? Land of the Dead was probably the closest he came to having universally recognised acting talent, but that's not generally considered his greatest work.