View Single Post
Old 19th July 2017, 09:11 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Completely agree (apart from It Follows and The Babadook, which are still two of the worst horror films I've seen that are universally lauded).
Don't Breathe is excellent, I really enjoyed it, definitely worth a watch
I was writing objectively (or trying to) and referring to consensus critical opinion.

In terms of star power, the only horror films which featured (then) acclaimed actors are things like Donald Pleasance in Halloween, Janet Leigh in Psycho, Jack Nicholson in The Shining, Max von Sydow in The Exorcist, Anthony Hopkins in The Silence of the Lambs (and again, with Keanu Reeves, when I arrived at and Gary Oldman in Bram Stoker's Dracula), Robert De Niro in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Julianne Moore and Ray Liotta in Hannibal (with Julian Moore appearing in the remake of Carrie). Those are big studio productions which, in the horror genre, are exceptions to the rule.

Most horror films appear from under the radar with little-known cast and crew and relatively small budgets, only gaining fan bases on the festival circuit, in Internet forums like this and on the equivalent of home video.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 20th July 2017 at 09:23 AM.