View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2017, 05:18 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Alien: Covenant (2017)

The most interesting aspect of this is the dynamic between Michael Fassbender’s David and Walter, and it does have some genuinely intense moments entailing well-executed set-pieces. Other than that, it’s just as middling as Prometheus.

The crew of characters are not like anybody in the original film; they’re all interchangeable fodder that I couldn’t give a **** about. I didn’t like that they flipped the script with David,
SPOILER:
and killed Elizabeth Shaw off screen
. Those characters were two of the best things about the first prequel, and we can tell by how it ended that the next instalment was supposed to continue their adventures as they explore the Engineers’ home world, and their mythology that would gradually lead into the Alien mythos. But obviously, after the mixed reception to Prometheus, Fox persuaded Ridley Scott to change direction and give us a proper Alien film instead.

I’m not buying the Xenomorph’s origin story either (let’s see how they explain the Alien queen down the line), and we didn’t need one anyway. The point of us not knowing what they are and where they come from was one of the great things about these iconic cinematic monsters, and now that mystery has been stripped away.

I haven’t seen an Alien film I’ve liked since the severely underrated Alien 3, and Scott is morphing into the new Lucas.

**1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Last edited by Cinematic Shocks; 23rd July 2017 at 05:42 AM.