View Single Post
Old 28th July 2017, 01:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Anthopophagous review:

Anthropophagus (The Grim Reaper)

"The remastered 2017 version from 88 Films (which is region free versus the region-locked earlier version), with the same LPCM English or Italian tracks and, in a nice touch, the addition of English SDH subtitles in addition to the English translated subs for the Italian version. The film has undergone some much-needed color correction that makes it a far more robust, impressive viewing experience; the blood is now a vivid red, skies are blue, and flesh tones look dead on. This release also corrects the tendency of several past transfers to try to brighten the film up too much in the middle of the film when the house is supposed to be shrouded in darkness and characters are walking around trying to see by candlelight. Here the day-for-night color timing and black levels are back down to where they logically should be; for instance, one key attack sequence with Eastman striking during a lightning storm should only show him in shadowy glimpses with his eyes and teeth flashing, an eerie effect absent on the previous two discs."

I hope 88 Films gives all Italian films the same treatment, in the future.