View Single Post
Old 18th August 2017, 09:07 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Ahem, this may be giving too much information away but hey, what the hell.
When i was a young whippersnapper i watched Highlander 2 whilst on LSD at a mates house party type thing.
I've never seen the film since and really am not a fan of Highlander films but i remember thinking what the **** is going on and enjoying it much more than the first film.
I have never gone back to it because everybody says it's shit and i have quite fond memories of the first viewing.
Probably made a lot more sense as well.
The original is an 80’s cult classic, and is one of my childhood favourites. The theatrical cut of 2 is one of the worst sequels ever made, but the Special Edition makes it tolerable. 3 is better than the incoherence of the theatrical cut of 2, but is worse than its Special Edition, as 3 is virtually a repeat of the first film, only not as well made and lacking any of its charm. At least the Special Edition of 2 attempts to do something different and is more coherent than its theatrical cut.

4 (Endgame) is the best sequel, but that’s not saying much as it still isn’t particularly good. But it’s not TOO BAD, and is worth a watch if you’re a fan of the first film and the TV series, which is very good overall, and is the most faithful to the spirit of the first film. Endgame is a crossover with the TV series, and is the best continuity to follow - first film, TV series, and Endgame. There’s another film in this continuity called The Source, which I haven’t seen. It’s supposed to be ****ing terrible though, and even worse than II and III.

Ratings out of 5:

Highlander ****

Highlander II: The Quickening - Theatrical Cut * Special Edition **

Highlander III: The Sorcerer *1/2

Highlander: Endgame **1/2

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Last edited by Cinematic Shocks; 18th August 2017 at 09:19 AM.