View Single Post
Old 26th December 2009, 10:10 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
I experienced first hand the so-called 'dire years of the late 80's/90's', and in my opinion the noughties has been without doubt the blandest and most unimaginative era of the lot.
While I respect your personal opinion, I think the vast amount and variety of mainstream and independent/niche genre product put out in the "noughties" internationally, introducing us to horror from quarters of the world we'd never thought of before as harbouring genre film makers, compared to the sparse, (mostly) DTV- and almost always "cut-to-an-R" (before being trimmed further by the UK, German or Scandinavian censors) selection of rental horror titles on a 90's video store's shelf, is still making a strong case for the 90's being the lamest period in horror.

Mind you, I don't doubt it for a minute that today's genre output would also pale in my memory if I've had the chance to watch all those classic nasties in handy double bills at the cinema in the 70's/early 80's.
Those were the days only a few lucky ones of us could have experienced first hand.

Horror will undoubtedly go into slumber again in the very foreseeable future and I don't doubt it that I'll be hardly impressed with the trends and tastes, which'll shape its rebirth at some point in the 2030s-40s.....but still, my disliking of the dominating popular horror staples of the next "horror boom" will hardly count as a meter for the genre's overall impact/quality/popularity/presence.