Old 2nd September 2017, 11:56 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Shadow Of A Doubt (Hitchcock)
That's one of my favourite Hitchcock films and one in which the 'master of suspense' really turns the screw, deftly playing with the 'is he or isn't he' question about Uncle Charlie and whether 'young Charlie' is the victim of her overactive imagination or not.

I'm also a big fan of Stoker, the superb Park Chan-wook film which was directly inspired by Shadow of a Doubt.

Very bravely, in the past couple of days, I've seen:

Detroit – incredibly powerful and thought-provoking retelling of the riots in 1967 and the night in a motel in which three African-American men were killed. Will Poulter is both terrifying and somewhat compromised as the antagonist, a policeman who is the personification of institutional racism. It's something which gave me a greater understanding of the ongoing tension between many African-Americans and law enforcement in the US and is one of the best films I've seen at the cinema this year.

Gettysburg – like Demdike, I don't know whether I'd watch this in one go or over two nights. However, because I was watching the BD, the film doesn't have an intermission or any sort of break to force viewing, so I watched it all in one go. It's a monumental achievement and an engrossing view of one of the most famous battles of the US Civil War.

Splash – I love this film and have done since I first saw it as a water loving child. Tom Hanks is a great comedic actor, he has great chemistry with Daryl Hannah and is more than ably supported by John Candy and Eugene Levy.

Creepozoids – I watched The Haunting of Annie Dyer with the commentary (something which I recommend even if you don't like the movie) and David DeCoteau's commentary was recommended by Creativ Studios on Twitter. Both are great lessons in low budget filmmaking and add a great deal to my understanding and appreciation of those movies.