View Single Post
Old 4th September 2017, 09:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

An odd film week for me, I only watched Electric Dreams through the week and due to a little migraine on Saturday night I spent most of Sunday lying in bed and I watched 3 films

So Electric Dreams, I obviously misremembered this film because I was under the impression that it was one of the better early 80s romcoms but it was actually pretty rubbish. Well more like a rollercoaster of really good bits and really bad bits Edgar, the computer was really annoying and whiny too, "tell me what love is Moles"... Meh, it was OK but I don't think I'll be watching it again, one for the CEX pile.

Any migraine sufferers will know that the best thing to do is to try and sleep it off, meaning 10pm on Saturday I was in bed trying to get some sleep. Therefore, 7am Sunday I was wide awake, and keen not to wake anyone up stuck my headphones on and watched Raw. Allegedly the horror film that we all needed in 2016. It's getting loads of praise, and while I thought it was good, it wasn't any more than that. Some really grim scenes which had me gagging (hairball...) and then some which border on ridiculous and expertly crafted tension in the same scene (scissors). The reveal at the end had me groaning to myself but other reviewers seem to have really enjoyed that last scene. I rented it, I doubt I'll be buying it.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country aka Look How Damn Old They All Are! was my follow up, fueled by coffee and bacon butties! Not much to be said about this film, one of the high points in the Star Trek canon. I'm grateful that the producers realised that the cast was a bit long in the tooth and wrote them a retirement story! I have 2 minor bugbears though and that's casting. Michael Dorn as Worf senior senior was a mis-step I think. His voice is so unmistakable that I was instantly thrown out of the scene. The other is David Warner, who although fantastic as the Klingon Chancellor, only just played a human character in Star Trek V so it seemed strange. Other than that brilliant political intrigue and action adventure. So far IV still holds place as the best in the series, but I'm about to get into the Next Gen arc, and First Contact could possibly pip it.

Finally, closed off the day with Comedy of Terrors, the only Arrow Vincent Price film I had yet to watch, saved the worst til last it seems. What started off great, an undertaker killing off old people for business, quickly descended into utter madness and slapstick and to be quite honest I was losing my patience with it Loved the first 25 mins, steadily lost my will to live I'm sure this has it's fans but I'm not really one of them. Quite a fall from The Cat People!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky