Thread: Comedy Film
View Single Post
Old 6th September 2017, 05:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Mindhorn. (2017)

Mindhorn. (2017)
Ever since I saw the trailer a few months ago I was exceedingly excited about watching this,especially as I am a big fan of The Mighty Boosh and especially Julian Barratt,who has turned up in a few other things lately most note worthy being a folk singer on Alan Partridges Mid Morning Matters. And with the trailer looking very promising,the idea of an 80's cop show character being called to solve a modern crime seemed like quite a good premise and one which you would of thought had loads of potential for some amusing jokes about that era and how un pc alot of those shows were back then.Unfortunately after a rather good start with some very convincing VHS style tracking on the picture quality where we get a flavour of the show Mindhorn,it very quickly goes down hill,with some rather poor pacing and a plot which basically does not hold up to scrutiny.Also I have to say that while Julian Barrart's character is fairly amusing,it would of been more suitable as half hour television show or maybe an hour episode special like Sky did with Alan Partridge.Of course being a British comedy we do get a couple of cameos from Thespian luvies Simon Callow (funniest scene is when Julian Barratt as Richard Thorncroft / Detective Bruce Mindhorn tells Callow to F**k off down the speaker phone) and also Kenneth Branagh,but unfortunately his scenes fail miserably.Also Steve Coogan appears as an ex colleague from the show,but again his appearance is wasted. Simon Farnaby who you might recognise from Horrible Histories and Detectorists gives a really poor performance almost cringe-worthy to be honest. I really wanted to like this film as it has all the ingredients that was needed to be a cult hit,but it fails miserably,its a shame as the first twenty minutes or so were really promising as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mindhorn-new-poster.jpg (90.0 KB, 2 views)