View Single Post
Old 13th September 2017, 05:04 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I thought Force Awakens was excellent. Hell Lucas tried something different with the prequels and no one liked them.
Lucas certainly didn't get every element right in the prequels, but Revenge of the Sith was a flipping masterpiece compaired to the absolute folly that arrived in the cinema's back in 2015.

The Phantom Menace had it's flaws, inparticular the trade federation thingy, and the blasted Jar Jar Binks, but I prefer watching Lucas's attempts at bringing something different to the table. At least we had a set of films that actually resembled something fresh, rather than a major studio saying, "play it safe" and give them what they (auidence) wants, a nostalgia fest with a story that doesn't even try to be different, but just copies elements and story plots from the first film, and probably the second film will do the same by copying Empire in places. Lucas for all his faults pushed the envelope with the CGI technology at the time.

I have nothing against the application of physical effects, but it doesn't really matter how much a film looks in terms of set design, physical effects or acting. What really matters is the narrative that the story will take, and how well it's ultimately applied to the fleshing out of the story arc. All I see with these new Star Wars films is the exact opposite. The next stories will probably be similar in tone to Empire and Return. I just wish now that Lucas had fulfilled his legacy with Eps 7, 8 & 9.

I've always been a keen supporter of George Lucas, but to see his legacy being shit all over by the house of mouse is just sickening beyond words.

Lucas to some degree is to blame for selling the crown jewels of sci-fi movie making off to Disney. He once said that he wouldn't even consider selling Lucasfilm off, but as usual, money talks and I suspect Lucas had plenty of pressure to sell off Lucasfilm and the Star Wars franchise to Disney.

But we'll ultimately never know the truth. Except Lucas let slip in that Charlie Rose interview what he REALLY thought of Disney.