View Single Post
Old 28th December 2009, 10:54 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Make no mistake,it isn't the greatest looking blu-ray out there but it's the best TR has ever looked and when you know that the film has always had a very soft look to it,you can appreciate it for what it is.Most times you have to see a disc for yourself and make up your own mind.

Here's part of a positive review for the disc I found at Hometheaterforum...

For True Romance, Scott and cinematographer Jeffrey Kimball created the visual equivalent of
the private inner world that Clarence and Alabama share and that briefly envelops everyone they
encounter, for good or ill (mostly the latter, since true romance is a powerful, destructive force).
Nothing ever looks quite real, but if you pay attention to almost any frame in which Alabama
appears, she will usually be the most vivid thing in it.

So what does this mean for the video image? When the film starts, you may be tempted to say,
"Meh!", because the image doesn't leap off the screen and shout, "Look at me!" But as the film
progresses, you should start noticing the wealth of tiny details: Alabama's jewelry, the individual
links in the chain around Clarence's neck, the elaborate make-up that transformed Gary Oldman
into Drexl. Then there's the rock-solid steadiness of the image during the rapidly edited eruptions
of violence - scenes that hold up better on this Blu-ray than any other video version to date,
because it conveys enough visual information for the cuts to make as much narrative sense as
they did when I saw the film projected theatrically.

I've seen every video version of this film since laserdisc, and, to paraphrase Walken's Don
Vincenzo, if you know them like you know your own face, you can't be fooled: This is a great
transfer.