View Single Post
Old 5th October 2017, 11:43 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Gerald's game

I'd always wondered how this would turn out if someone actually got it to screens. Its the sort of concept that would appeal to directors in a similar manner to Phone Booth. One character, Jessie, played by Carla Gugino is handcuffed to a bed by her husband Gerald, played by Bruce Greenwood. Its part of a kinky sex game thought up by Gerald to spice up their sex life. Unfortunately it works to well, and combined with the effects of Gerald's cock sweets he has a full blown heart attack. The rest of the film is Jessie whose inner dialogue is represented by ghost versions of herself and Gerald as she's forced to find a way out before a starving dog that's made its way in decides she's next on the menu. She's also haunted by pasty trauma and what appears to be the manifestation of death that's haunting her.
Director Mike Flanegan has a decent track record with genre pictures. I like Absentia, Oculous and Hush (more on that in a bit) and Gerald's game was no disappointment for me. Genuinely gripping from beginning to end, its a great adaptation of the book. Given that its on netflix its not going to cost anything to see it if you have the service either. Kudous to Gugino who really delivers in the central role and manages to carry the film remarkably well.
Nice review K. Been meaning to put one up myself. I watched this the other night and it was as you've said gripping from the off.