View Single Post
Old 13th November 2017, 07:46 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
A couple of quickies today's visit to the cinema:

Murder on the Orient Express – I haven't read Agatha Chris's novel and surprisingly knew nothing about the story prior to watching the film, something I tried hard to maintain when I booked the tickets last week, so it was refreshing to watch a murder mystery unfold without any knowledge of how it finishes. It is a beautifully designed and filmed movie, with exceptional cinematography, and the all-star cast (Kenneth Branagh, Michelle Pfeiffer, Judi Dench, Johnny Depp, Penelope Cruz, Derek Jacobi, Willem Defoe, Daisy Ridley) are all near the top of their games.
Murder On the Orient Express (1974)

I watched the 1974 film for the first time on Saturday night, also knowing not a thing about the story. I actually figured out what had happened with about half an hour to go. Not because i'm a crime solving genius but because it seemed the only plausible answer given exactly who the passengers were.

Featuring an arguably even more all star cast than the new film - Saen Connery, Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman, John Gielgud, Martin Balsam, Anthony Perkins, Vanessa Redgrave, Michael York, Richard Widmark and Albert Finney as Poirot.

The film is beautifully directed by Sidney Lumet and was clearly and refreshingly all filmed on a moving train.

Interestingly, i thought the way Poirot came to his conclusion, having all the travelers together and basically putting them all on the spot one by one, was exactly the same as Dashiell Hammet and The Thin Man, although in Nick Charles' case it was round a dinner table rather than a train carriage. Neither copied the other as both books came out the same year - 1934.

I'd certainly recommend it to you. But maybe not for a few years as you probably know how it ends.