View Single Post
Old 20th December 2017, 01:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I thought The Last Jedi was a much stronger film than The Force Awakens as so much of it felt fresh, funny and imaginative rather than a retread of what had gone before. I'm far from a Star Wars fan and don't own any of them in any form, but it was interesting to see how this had a good mix of spectacle and character development, superbly orchestrated action sequences and engaging relationships. The moments between Luke and Leia were quite emotional, as were those between Rose and Finn, and the first 'conversation' between Poe and General Hux was genuinely funny and people were laughing out loud in the cinema; it reminded me (as I alluded to in the What films have you seen recently thread) of the sort of humorous encounter from a Guardians of the Galaxy film – the same goes for the moment when Luke emerges from a huge cloud of rubble, smoke and dust, casually/sarcastically brushing dust off his shoulder.

Adam Driver is slowly but surely becoming one of the more interesting and complete actors around and his performance in this film betters any before it with his emotional struggle being genuinely unpredictable and fascinating making the moment where he outsmarted Snoke a real surprise – I was sure he would still be the Supreme Leader in Episode IX. I mentioned this somewhere else, but I was very pleased to see it continue the sort of characters from the previous episode and Rogue One becoming a genuine feminist film which would ace the Bechtel Test and provide numerous strong role models (not just Leia, but Rei, Rose, Vice-Admiral Holdo, Captain Phasma, and even, in her short appearance, Maz Kanata) for all female Star Wars fans, whatever their age.

It did sag a little in the second act, though I can't actually pinpoint where – but something for a second viewing – and possibly could have done with some tighter editing, but the ending was really engaging, emotional and J.J. Abrams really has his work cut out to better this in the next episode.

Interestingly, I went with two people who were not Star Wars fans and hadn't even seen The Force Awakens and they both understood it and enjoyed it so much they expressed a desire to see it again! I'll definitely go to the cinema for a second viewing, possibly tomorrow.
think this proves that fanboys are there own worst enemy's at times , its been the same with the new trek show on the whole people have liked it apart from those few vocal fans who used to complain that they have done nothing new with star trek