View Single Post
Old 20th December 2017, 05:55 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
What grates with me is the fact there's no need for them. Lucas gave us his brilliant trilogy then the prequels. That was enough. All these new films are doing is dragging the original trilogy into the dirt. Had Lucas wanted to move the story along or had more story to tell then he would have. That's why to me the Star Wars series is 6 films then it ended.

I did rewatch the original trilogy again earlier this year but at no point thought 'now i'll watch The Force Awakens'.
There is no narrative need but, as with the prequels, money talks! If something is going to turn a profit at the box office, that's a bigger factor in whether it is made and released than whether it has artistic merit.

The original three films aren't things I hold dear or are particularly special to me, so I happily watch the new films (including Rogue One, which I thought was a very well made, entertaining and interesting film in its own right) as long as they are good and entertaining pieces for adventure sci-fi. For the most part, they have been.