View Single Post
Old 20th December 2017, 07:29 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I think the original actors had a certain something, that one off star power. Harrison Ford for example became one of the legendary film stars of all time. I truly can't see John Boyega or Daisy Ridley having that quality. Think the first time you saw Darth Vader... Wow. Can anyone who's not just seen the new film even picture what Kylo Ren or Snoke look like? I know i can't.

Nos mentioned The Exorcist. Another film that had that certain something. That timeless classic aura. I bet the majority of people don't even know it has another four films attached to it.
They did, but I think with any film like Star Wars, you have to create the chemistry and develop characters with a decent, well told story + have a director that actually understands the notion and value of working with actors like Richard Marquand did in Return of the Jedi. I found The Last Jedi very disjointed with how it approached the story in general. You had no real idea who hell Snoke was at all. What his back story was etc. The story jumps all over the place, and you really don't feel any warmth with the Rey/Skywalker relationship. The most pivotal relationship in the entire film for God's sake.

This whole film never connected or gave me a feeling of WOW! with goosebumps, not once. Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and even Return had moments that made you feel that you had fully invested in the characters, and you as a cinemagoer went on a epic journey across the stars with a trusted band of friends.

RIP STAR WARS. It was great whilst it lasted

1977-05