View Single Post
Old 24th December 2017, 07:41 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
The reason I dislike the Original and it's sequels are:

You start off liking/rooting him for what has happened to his daughter and wife and then you are manipulated into taking his side and yet he is just as bad as those who commit those crimes and then starts to enjoy it and becomes psychotic.

The police do not do a thing and even to the point they let him go (on a killing spree ) without charges against him and why? simply because he kept the crime rate down.

"the end justifies the means", meaning that if a goal is morally important enough, any method of achieving it is acceptable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
In the case of the original Bronson film I see not the problem.
I agree with Mr Harker. Starting with Death Wish II, the series definitely at least partly exploits both the genre and the basic storyline, but the original 1974 Death Wish doesn't condone vigilantism. The fact that it also does not overtly hammer "Don't take the law into your own hands!" into the viewer's head doesn't make it a manipulative film. The fact that the viewer can understand Kersey's actions and that the film is intense enough to make the viewer feel for Kersey doesn't mean that he is tricked into believing that Kersey's actions are right.