Thread: Western Movies
View Single Post
Old 15th January 2018, 01:39 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Hunting Party (1971)

Gene Hackman stars as a wealthy business man whose wife (Candice Bergen) is kidnapped by a ruthless gang of cut throats led by Oliver Reed. Hackman vows revenge and goes after the gang using newly invented long range hunting rifles.

One of the most nihilistic and brutal westerns i think i've seen. Much of it is extremely distasteful featuring multiple rapes, brutality against women and a horse fall that i can't un-see. Not to mention the many extremely bloody killings on show.This British western from Don Medford remains a decent enough and original film well, original if you haven't seen The Most Dangerous Game that is, which has a spaghetti vibe to it aided by a fine score from Riz Ortolani. There's barely a chink of light to be seen in this dark brooding affair where a case of Stockholm Syndrome between Bergen and Reed remains the only vestiges of humanity on offer.

The Hunting Party isn't one of the great westerns but it does offer something different to the norm and is well worth seeing although i do wish i'd seen the cut British print because as i said i can't un-see that horrific horse trip.