View Single Post
Old 7th February 2018, 12:57 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The problem for me is the investment in a whole new group of characters. Due to the age of people and also killing off characters such as Han and Luke means there's not an awful lot left of the originals to hang on to meaning when they stop using the Falcon for example or Tie Fighters and all the other iconic things then it's for all intents and purposes just another sci-fi series and not really a genre i'm interested in.
True Dem. Disney wanted Star Wars just for the nostagia ride. Anything to appease a certain age demograthic, and also mix in some social engineering with the neo-feminist crap for good measure. Kathleen's made her views clear about this a few times in interviews. The way Disney have gone about this makes me wonder what really is driving this level of supposed Incompetency.

I've never seen such a mess in my life. Two films that don't add anything to what Lucas set out to do back in 1977, tell a narrative with characters that actually meant something. All Disney have done is rip apart the very soul of the Star Wars universe, and destroy the central characters that actually were so integral to each other and the storylines they told.

We're now left with a directionless Star Wars ship that seems to be going down a blackhole into nothingness. A new trilogy that has no grounding or supportive characters that you really can relate to, without some agenda pushing being chucked in your face.

I'm not really suprised to be honest Dem. Disney have destroyed all cohesive sense of went before, and have stuck the dagger in deep, thus destroying what Lucas gave Disney, a chance to deliver a memorable three story trilogy that could've been great, but instead Disney wanted to deliver a risk free, derivative, agenda driven, plotless junk. How anyone can actually say that The Last Jedi was on the same level as the original trilogy is beyond me.

Return of the Jedi had it's issues, like Attack of the Clones, but The Last Jedi was adding elements into the narrative that doesn't really correlate to what Lucas set in stone with the original trilogy, or even the prequels. I think Dem, Lucas was right about his new trilogy though. Ep's 7, 8 and 9 needed fresh characters, a new threat, and maybe Luke added into the mix, but done the way Lucas wanted to.

That way, the gradual intergration of new characters could've of been done in a very subtle way with a new story arc that made more sense. Personally I really don't know how you can repair the damage that's been done to Star Wars now. It's gone beyond a joke, and quite honestly, Star Wars for me is totally finished. The Star Wars that I enjoyed was the Lucas's films, and all Disney have done is totally wreck a perfectly decent film franchise to shreds. It's totally disgusting to watch.