View Single Post
Old 16th February 2018, 07:08 AM
Cult Addict

Colossal

This one trailered at my local cinema but they never bothered screening it. I kept meaning to catch it on home video but something else always seemed to come along. Well, now its free on Amazon for Prime customers so I finally got round to seeing it. I'm glad I did.
Anne Hathaway plays Gloria, an unemployed drunk who gets dumped by her boyfriend. She moves from New York back to her home town where she rekindles a friendship with her Childhood friend Oscar, played by Jason sudeikis. She starts working at his bar and hanging out with Oscar and his drinking buddies Tim and Joel. Getting blackout drunk she begins forgetting parts of the evening, meanwhile a giant monster is attacking Korea. Gloria begins to realise she is in someway connected to the monster and in control of its actions, thereby responsible for a large number of deaths. While trying to figure this out she hooks up with Joel and drives Oscar over the edge. It turns out Oscar can manifest as a giant Robot in the same location and begins using this to try and get a hold over Gloria.
For a film that starts out somewhat whimsical it gets pretty dark, and past the half way point you realise your watching a film about inner demons. Self loathing, Alcohol dependency, toxic relationships and abuse. It's surprisingly melancholic and you realise a lot of the characters are damaged from feelings that life has passed them by in some way.
I really liked this film. Don't go in expecting a laugh riot, though there is some dark humour present. Instead you'll get a smart, interesting if somewhat occasionally depressing little movie with a neat idea behind it.